Rutherford County National Certified Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Technicians
- ALL car seat inspections and assistance with installations are done BY APPOINTMENT ONLY between the hours of 9 AM and 5 PM Monday-Friday.
- Please CALL FIRST and don’t just show up at a site. Technicians are volunteers certified and trained in Child Passenger Safety. They also have full-time job responsibilities and may not be available or on-duty.
- Please get your car seat installed BEFORE YOU DELIVER. It may be difficult locating a technician at night or on the weekend. In most cases, it only takes 10-15 minutes to assist with installation or inspection of your car seat.
- The nursing staff at Rutherford Regional Medical Center DOES NOT inspect, install or provide car seats. Only a CPS Technician is trained to assist you with your car seat.
- SAFE KIDS Rutherford County DOES NOT distribute free car seats. A parent or caregiver receiving public financial assistance, such as Medicaid or WIC, may show proof of such and purchase a car seat at a discounted price. Distribution sites are noted with a *.
Columbus Police Dept. 828-894-5464
Forest City Police Dept. 828-245-5555
McDowell Co. EMS 828-652-3982
Rutherford Co. Sheriff’s Dept. 828-287-6247
Spindale Fire & Police Dept. 828-286-3464
Amanda Freeman*, Rutherford LIFE Services 286-4352
Tracy Guillermo, Cleveland Regional 828-286-3464
Kristin Holbert, RN, Rutherford Regional 828-553-7470
Charlene Proctor*, Rutherford Regional 828-286-5496
Charlotte Ruppe, Rutherford Co. Clerk of Court 288-6100
For additional Child Passenger Safety information, please visit